Monday 15 October 2007

Customer Q&A: Crumpler bag for Nikon D2x, lenses and cargo.

Q:

Hi Guys,
I already have several Crumpler bags, but have been unable to find exactly what I need this time around.

I have a Nikon D2X (quite a large SLR) and I am looking for a back pack that can take the camera, a couple of lenses, but also has a compartment for other stuff (clothes, drinks, etc). Your Sinking Barge is (almost) perfect, but the camera compartment is just a little too small. Do you have another bag that you can recommend?

Also, If you do have such a bag, is it available in Japan? The retailers here that stock your product don't have a bag that fits (other than the 7 million dollar home, which I already have).

Thanks in advance,

Cobber.

A:
Hi Cobber,
I'm a D2x user and among the Crumpler Bags I use are:

*
the Customary Barge (17" version of the Sinking Barge) ~ not a lot bigger in the camera compartment, but enough for D2x w/ 14mm f/2.8 or 17-35mm f/2.8 attached and an SB-800 on one side and a 10.5mm f/2.8 or 55mm f/1.2 on the other. If I need my 70-200mm f2.8 as well I wrap it and stow it in the upper cargo compartment.
*
a Bucket or Bunion photo insert for Western Lawn or Barney Rustle Blanket in a Complete Seed messenger bag. This is the medium Bucket in a large bag. This Bucket can float about inside a little, but I use the extra space for cargo, which wedges it in somewhat. I can fit the D2x with any medium sized lens (see above) and compartmentalize the rest of the insert for extra lenses, speedlights etc.
* Pics here , here (in a Dreadful Embarrassment) and as far as I know, this bucket also fits in the Cashmere Blazer laptop shoulder bag.

* Beware keeping water bottles inside the bag. As the Crumpler bags are water resistant, inside and out it, can take a while to realize that your bottle is leaking, disaster ensuing! Use a water bottle holder available from any good sports or camping shop to externally attach the bag. Modern hydration bladders are very sophisticated and strong, but I'd also exercise caution using these internally.

*The local distributor in Japan should be able to help you.

*Please feel free to contact me should you require some more alternatives! e.g Brazillion Dollar Home, Bucket insert in laptop shoulder bag
Cashmere Blazer , or if you'd like to get more specific, e.g. particular lenses, bags or backpacks.





At your service, cheers, BBB)))

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the customary barge enough for a D2x,17-55dx probably one or two fix lens (35mm or 50mm or 85mm), sb800, my macbook pro 15" and some travel guide, paper (passport ...) for visiting Japan during a month ?
I want something to take my stuff with me in the plane, the rest go in a bigger bag in the cargo.

I don't know if the cust. barge is too big a day to day walk around japan, perhaps I will go to crumpler shop in Tokyo to get a messager camera bag or but another small backpack at a camera shop, the laptop should stay at the hotel most of the time.

Cyril

Anonymous said...

Is the customary barge enough for a D2x,17-55dx probably one or two fix lens (35mm or 50mm or 85mm), sb800, my macbook pro 15" and some travel guide, paper (passport ...) for visiting Japan during a month ?
I want something to take my stuff with me in the plane, the rest go in a bigger bag in the cargo.

I don't know if the cust. barge is too big a day to day walk around japan, perhaps I will go to crumpler shop in Tokyo to get a messager camera bag or but another small backpack at a camera shop, the laptop should stay at the hotel most of the time.

Cyril

Big BAD Benny said...

Hey Cyril,
Yes - I'd say so.
If you can't get all your primes in the lower padded section, there's always room up top.
Fully laden with ALL your stuff, the Barge will weigh ALOT, OK for transit, but, as you mentioned for touring and trekking, remove absolutely everything you don't need and enjoy the lighter weight.
Best bet is to try at the Crumpler shop in Ginza, heaps of choices!
The Barges are deep, thus their name: you'll be barging through the crowds.
There's only approx 1 inch difference between the photo inserts widths for the Sinking and Customary so get the size you need according to you laptop screen, and or Cargo requirements... BBB)))